Website Park City Municipal Corporation
- $28.2400 To $35.3000 Hourly DOE + Benefits
Under the direction of the exempt level City Attorney or designee performs legal research, prepares documents and obtains relevant records for litigation. Drafts relevant legal documents for the City. Organizes and prioritizes information and provides paralegal support to the City Attorney, Deputy City Attorney, Assistant City Attorney, contracted attorneys and law clerks.**
Examples of Typical Job Duties:
- *Assists the contract City Prosecutor with the management and handling of Prosecutor litigation files. In the course of assisting with City Prosecutor duties, coordinates with many different offices and agencies in the course of prosecuting cases in Third District Court and Summit County Justice Court. Prepares quarterly Prosecutor revenue reports for the City Attorney and City Council.
- *Implements and supervises assigned department operations and strategies. Maintains department calendar, civil litigation database, criminal prosecution database and department project log. Conducts preliminary evaluation of risk management claims and case information to assure compliance with standard operating procedures.
- *Coordinates court calendar, police officers and attorneys.
- *Performs legal research via LexisNexis, Internet, law library, and public records as needed.
- *Maintains City records and documents files, including litigation, Ordinances, Resolutions, and correspondence. Reviews, responds to and retains records of G.R.A.M.A. requests.
- *Prepares case files for review by staff attorneys and/or prior to hearings, pretrial meetings, City Council, Planning Commission, and other meetings as requested.
- *Prepares summons and subpoenas for witnesses for pretrial and trial.
- *Provides support for all water-related projects
- *Coordinates and assists outside counsel in gathering information
- *Assists attorneys in complying with court rules of procedure for filing briefs.
- *Drafts and edits contracts, agreements, pleadings, letters, and other correspondence
- Provides municipal election backup support, as needed
- Process purchase orders.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of office practices and municipal procedures
- Knowledge of court procedure and policies, state statutes, municipal ordinances and court interpretation
- Working knowledge of legal terminology and research procedures
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to perform tasks with independent judgment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Certificate of completion from a recognized paralegal program
- 2 years related legal experience
- Ability to type 55 wpm
- Experience working in a public sector organization
- 2 years related municipal legal experience
- Typing speed of 60 net words per minute or better
- Professional certification from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) and/or accredited association
- Certified Legal Assistant (CLA), Certified Paralegal (CP), or additional professional certification from the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger or handle objects, controls, or tools.
- Must be able to reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop and kneel.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Periodic exposure to stressful situations
- Work is performed primarily in a climate controlled office setting. May involved extended periods of sitting, typing on a keyboard, and using a telephone among other office equipment including copier, scanner, fax, etc.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to low.
The physical demands and work environments described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Accommodations will be examined on a case-by-case basis.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required by personnel so classified.
*Essential functions of the job
**The Legal Department has two paralegals that split the job duties and responsibilities, but each paralegal may have additional projects that are assign solely to them to complete. If one of the paralegals is out of the office for a significant period of time, this would impact the other paralegal from preforming or carrying out other timely assignments and daily office duties.
- Park City Municipal Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applications for current job postings are found on www.parkcity.org
- Individuals requesting Veteran’s preference will need to provide Human Resources with a copy of form DD214
- To request an accommodation, please contact the City’s ADA Manager at 435.615.5241
This job announcement is not an offer of employment or an employment contract
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.